Monday, May 25, 2009

Remembering

This is one place I am very familiar with. I've had my share of attending funerals. This was the final destination after all the funerals I had attended growing up. The family I have lost up until this point have all been buried in a National Cemetery. I would visit the cemetery often growing up and knew exactly where everyone was even people I didn't know I would visit. When I was a teenager I would visit a very special family member frequently and I would fall asleep next to his headstone on different occasions along with the plastic flowers that were only allowed at the cemetery. This was the only reason I was late getting home as a teenager. Never once did I admit I had fallen asleep at the cemetery. The grounds keepers knew me by name and never bothered me unless I was sleep and they were locking the gate. If it was a nice night they would let me be they knew when I awoke I would just jump the wall to get out. Then the cemetery was declared full I didn't know what to expect. Another National Cemetery was built and my grandmother was the first in our family to be buried there. I was very disappointed when that happened because I had always
thought growing up that most of my family would be buried together, but I was young and naive.

I also had always thought that everyone had a flag on their casket until I attended a regular funeral. It was an odd moment .

No comments:

Post a Comment